Floppy Disk Drive USB Emulator "OpenFlops" with FlashFloppy firmware pre-installed. Suitable for most retro computers that use either internal or external floppy disk drives as a direct replacement or additional drive so you can load games/software from USB flash drive or save data to your memory stick.
Compatible with most computers including Acorn, Amstrad, Amiga, Apple, Atari, Spectrum, DOS / IBM XT PC, MSX etc etc . Also works with a range of keyboards and synthesisers.
The OpenFlops drive is an improvement on the Gotek design with extra features and easily accessible placement of header pins and connections for popular addons and mods such as OLED display, rotary encoder and "floppy disk noise" speakers.
Fully plug and play and compatible as a complete Gotek upgrade or replacement.
OpenFlops is an Open Hardware implementation of a floppy disk emulator, inspired from the ubiquitous Gotek hardware. It is designed to run the FlashFloppy firmware, which gives it several improvements over the original Gotek:
- Can be installed on many different platforms
- Directly supports a wide range of image formats
- Flexible track layout for Raw Sector Images
- Extremely configurable
- Supports AutoSwap for games with a large number of disks
- Easily accessible pin headers for connection of a i2c display (either OLED or LCD), rotary encoder (including power)
- Easily accessible through holes to add external speaker and large solder pads to even mount one directly on to the pcb for floppy drive sounds
- USB connector can either be soldered on the board or connected to a pin header
- Connected Motor signal
- Emulates two drives at the same time (Green LED shows 1st drive disk activity & Red LED shows 2nd drive!)
This is supported already by the OpenFlops drive, with FlashFloppy firmware to add the feature in up-coming firmware release.
- Has additional 3.3V, 5V and GND power pins
- And hey, it's Open Hardware!
All of this comes in the same form factor (and mounting holes) as the board installed in the original Gotek, hence it can be easily installed in any shell or enclosure designed for it.
Helping To Support The Centre for Computing History
For every OpenFlops drive sold 50p is donated to The Centre for Computing History in Cambridge, United Kingdom. There is an option to donate extra if desired to further help fund their organisation :)
The Centre for Computing History is much more than a museum. Based in Cambridge, it hosts hands-on exhibitions, educational workshops and a wide range of activities and events. Most importantly, it makes the history of computing relevant and fun for all ages!
Visit them here: www.computinghistory.org.uk
OpenFlops is designed and copyrighted by Sukko Pera: https://github.com/SukkoPera/OpenFlops, manufactured in partnership with Simulant Systems Ltd using high quality components and thicker pcbs than the original Gotek drives use.
WHOLESALE/RESELLER RATES AVAILABLE FOR ORDERS OF 10+ UNITS, PLEASE CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Floppy Disk Drive USB Emulator "OpenFlops" with FlashFloppy firmware - Gotek upgrade compatible
- Brand: Simulant
- Product Code: openflops-simulant-pcb
- Availability: In Stock
- Ex Tax: £18.33